Carbeth Guthrie House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
The lands of Carbeth are located near Strathblane in Stirlingshire. Early in the 19th century the estate was purchased by John Guthrie, a West Indies merchant with the Glasgow firm Leitch & Smith, who served as a magistrate and (in 1814) as Dean of Guild. In 1810 Guthrie began building a new mansion on the site of some old farm buildings.
Guthrie died 1834 and was succeeded by his cousin William Smith, another West Indies merchant. Smith was a member of the Glasgow Sharpshooters regiment, Dean of Guild in 1812 and Lord Provost in 1822. He added "Guthrie" to the name of the estate and in 1835 he employed the architect John Baird (1798-1859) to design a major extension to the mansion. He sold the house in 1861.
The house remains a private residence in 2004.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Carbeth Guthrie House, Deans of Guild, Glasgow Sharpshooters, Leitch & Smith, Lord Provosts, mansions, militia, Volunteers, West Indies merchants