Belvidere House, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan.
In 1760 John McCall, a tobacco merchant and the owner of the famous "Black House" on Argyle Street, consolidated several lots of land in the Parkhead area that lay between London Road and the River Clyde. He built the mansion in the photograph and called it Belvidere. McCall died here in 1790 and the property was sold the following year to his son-in-law Robert McNair.
McNair was the grandson of Robert McNair, one of the merchants who helped establish the Easter Sugar House in the Gallowgate. McNair lived in Belvidere until about 1813 and sold the property on to Mungo Nutter Campbell, a West Indies merchant and Lord Provost in 1824.
Belvidere was sold to the Town Council in 1870 as the site for a hospital for infectious diseases. Initially, the patients were accommodated in temporary buildings in the grounds. The mansion was demolished and a nurses' home built on the site, prior to the official opening of the hospital's permanent buildings in March 1887.
Belvidere became a general geriatric hospital before it closed in 1999.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Belvidere Hospital, Belvidere House, Belvidere Infectious Diseases Hospital, conservatories, country houses, fever hospitals, glasshouses, infectious diseases hospitals, mansions, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants