Auldhouse on Thornliebank Road in Pollokshaws, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The original tower house was built c 1631 by either George Maxwell of Auldhouse or his son John. Four rooms were added c 1800 and the house was extended later in the 19th century.
The Maxwells of Pollok acquired the lands of Auldhouse in the 15th century. In 1710 they were acquired by the printer and bookseller Robert Sanders and later acquired by the Merchants' House. Part of the estate was sold to Archibald Ingram's Pollokshaws Printfield Co c 1744 but the remainder, and the house, was acquired by the Glasgow lawyer John Wardrop and subsequently re-acquired by the Maxwells of Nether Pollok. It served as a children's home for many years but in 2004 it contains flats.
The spire Eastwood Parish Church on Mansewood Road is in the distance, left.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Auldhouse, children's homes, churches, country houses, Eastwood Parish Church, mansions, spires, tower houses