A postcard showing a tin glazed punchbowl made for the Saracen's Head Inn around 1760 by the Delftfield Pottery Co. It would have been used to mix "Glasgow Punch", using rum, sugar and lemons. The Glasgow coat of arms is depicted in the centre.
The Delftfield Pottery was set up in 1748 by brothers Laurence and Robert Dinwiddie, who were prosperous tobacco merchants. It is believed to be the first in Scotland, and the first potters employed to produce delftware came from London. The site chosen was on the north bank of the River Clyde near the Broomielaw Quay in Anderston.
Engineer James Watt became a partner in the business in the 1760s, as the pottery expanded its products to include stoneware, earthenware and, by 1800, bone china. In 1810 the company took over the Caledonian Pottery and moved its business there. It ceased trading in 1824.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bone china, Caledonian Pottery, coats of arms, Delftfield Pottery Co, delftware, drinking, drinks, earthenware, engineers, Glasgow Punch, inns, potteries, potters, punchbowls, rum, rum punch, Saracen's Head Inn, stoneware, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants