The interior of the Andersonian Library at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College in George Street, c 1890. Librarian George Martin is at the issue desk. This circular hall was once the Lecture Hall, and later the lower part of the Andersonian Museum.
John Anderson bequeathed his own personal collection, over 2,000 volumes, to form the nucleus of the library of Anderson's University on his death in 1796. The original books carried Anderson's bookplate with his crest, mottoes and signature. The Andersonian Library moved from the old College building to the new University of Strathclyde's McCance Building in 1964. The expansion of the University in the following years led to difficulties caused by space restrictions. In 1981 the Andersonian Library was re-housed in much more spacious premises in the Curran Building.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives
Anderson's University, Andersonian Library, Andersonian Museum, books, Curran Building, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, librarians, libraries, McCance Building, Royal Technical College, University of Strathclyde