An early example of an x-ray tube, probably from the early 1900s.
X-rays were discovered by Willem Rontgen in 1895. By 1896 Dr James Thomas Bottomley (1845-1926), Lord Blythswood (1835-1908) and Dr John Macintyre (1857-1928) of Glasgow Royal Infirmary were collaborating to develop radiographic apparatus for medical use. The world's first hospital X-ray unit opened in the Royal's electrical department under Macintyre's direction that year and Macintyre (with additional assistance from Lord Kelvin) made great strides in improving practical techniques of radiography and produced the first X-ray cinematograph.
The electrical department became a world leader in the development of radiographic techniques and apparatus, and a new electrical pavilion was erected at the infirmary in 1902 with the latest equipment required to pursue further research.
Reference: RCPSG 1/12/7/83
Reproduced with the permission of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
electrical department, electrical pavilion, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, inventors, physicists, radiographers, radiography, radiologists, radiology, x-rays