The exterior of Allan Glen's School c 1876, when Charles Rennie Mackintosh was one of the pupils. The building was demolished in 1970.
Allan Glen was a wright who became a wealthy property owner and who left £20,000 in his will in 1850 to make "provision for giving gratuitously a good practical education to about fifty boys, sons of tradesmen or persons in the industrial classes in Glasgow." Allan Glen's Institution opened in 1853.
The school was built on land which Glen had owned on the corner of North Hanover Street and Cathedral Street. Incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1876, it concentrated increasingly on scientific and technical education and in 1887 its management was transferred to the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, later the Royal College of Science and Technology, and ultimately the University of Strathclyde. In 1912 the school became a Science High School under the Glasgow School Board and in 1926 it moved to the building previously occupied by Provanside Public School in North Montrose Street.
Reference: Heatherbank Museum of Social Work, print 6484
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow Caledonian University, Heatherbank Museum of Social Work
Allan Glen's Institution, Allan Glen's School, benefactors, Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, Glasgow School Board, Royal College of Science and Technology, Science High Schools, University of Strathclyde, wrights