The Sixty Steps which connect Kelvinside Terrace to Garriochmill Road, 1955. The steps and retaining wall were designed by Alexander "Greek" Thomson in the 1870s to provide access to the original Queen Margaret Bridge. The bridge had been built by the coach builder John E Walker in 1870, and was demolished in 1970.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.70 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club
Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Sixty Steps, stairs