A view of Tennent Caledonian Breweries' Wellpark Brewery in Duke Street.
John and Robert Tennent built a brewery in Drygate in 1777, and expanded on land in Wellpark it the end of the century. The firm was originally famous for the quality of its stout and strong export ales and by the mid-19th century were the world's largest bottled beer exporters. In the early 1880s Hugh Tennent built a new lager brewery on the site and began to brew lager under the supervision of Danish and German experts.
J & R Tennent was acquired by Charrington United Breweries in 1963, was united with United Caledonian Breweries, became a subsidiary of the giant Bass Charington Group. The brewery was finally sold to new owners in 2000. It remains most famous for Tennent's lager and the "lager lovelies" who once appeared on its cans of lager.
Reproduced with the permission of the West of Scotland Archaeology Service
Bass Charrington Group, breweries, brewers, brewing, lager, Tennent Caledonian Breweries, Tennent's Lager, United Caledonian Breweries, Wellpark Brewery