View from the back of the University Chapel facing the alter, 1978.
The chapel interior is divided into a series of bays by shafts rising from carved corbels (seen either side of this picture), supporting the trusses of the open timber roof. Electric lights are suspended from the projecting carved hammer-beams that represent the ten virgins from the famous Biblical parable. There are clerestory windows above the triforium passage and tall lancets in the east (centre of this picture) and west gables, with a rose window above the lancets in the west gable.
Sculptures by Archibald Dawson and carved stalls and the pulpit by Walter Gilbert are among the noteworthy features. There is also a series of stained-glass windows by Douglas Strachan, the founder of the stained-glass course at Edinburgh College of Art. Funded by the graduates and depicting the whole of human life as a spiritual endeavour, the ten windows were installed in 1931.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU11/22
University of Glasgow
chapels, churches, interiors, pulpits, stained glass, stalls, University Chapel, University of Glasgow buildings, windows