The front and rear faces of a ticket for the Bijou Picture Palace in Cowcaddens.
The Bijou was opened in Cowcaddens Street in 1908 by Ralph Pringle, proprietor of Pringle's Picture Palace near Glasgow Cross. The theatre was situated in the former Alexander Assembly Halls in Cowcaddens Street and contained 700 seats. Nicknamed the "By Jove", the Bijou had a narrow entrance stair that would hinder the speedy evacuation of the building in the event of fire. The theatre was closed due to safety concerns in 1929, after the deaths of patrons at the Glen cinema in Paisley in the stampede which followed the sounding of a fire alarm.
Reference: STA JLC PP 299
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
Alexander Assembly Halls, Bijou Picture Palace, cinemas, films, fires, theatres, tickets