Four views of the Govan Sarcophagus.
The sarcophagus is carved from a block of sandstone and may have been intended to hold the mortal remains of the founder of the medieval Church of St Constantine which was built on the site where Govan Old Parish Church stands today. It is believed that the sarcophagus was carved in the second half of the 9th century. The four sides are decorated with panels depicting animals and a horseman alongside ribbon motifs.
Found in the church graveyard in 1855, the sarcophagus was brought into the church in 1908.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Sp Coll Mu25 - x.6
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections
animals, Church of St Constantine, churches, Govan Old Parish Church, Govan Sarcophagus, horsemen, sarcophagi