James Miller (1860-1947), architect and artist.
In an architectural career spanning almost fifty years, Miller left his imprint on Glasgow through a series of buildings of remarkable variety. His works include public buildings, commercial buildings, factories, hospitals, churches, banks, schools and private houses.
Miller won competitions for two prestige projects, the Industrial Hall for the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1901 and the new Glasgow Royal Infirmary, opened in 1914. In his later years, his work on buildings such as the headquarters for the Union Bank in St Vincent Street and buildings for the Commercial Bank in Bothwell Street and West George Street showed a strong American influence. Miller is also associated with Glasgow Central Station, the Royal Scottish Automobile Club, Caledonian Chambers, St Enoch Subway Station and the offices of the North British Locomotive Co, later converted for Springburn College.
A notable artist, Miller was a regular exhibitor at the Royal Scottish Academy and was elected Academician in 1930.
Reference: GC f920.04 GLA
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, artists, banks, Caledonian Chambers, Commercial Bank, Glasgow Central Station, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Industrial Hall, International Exhibition, 1901, North British Locomotive Co, Royal Scottish Academy, Royal Scottish Automobile Club, Springburn College, St Enoch Subway Station, Union Bank of Scotland