The Beresford Hotel in Sauchiehall Street, pictured shortly after its opening in 1938. Described as Glasgow's first skyscraper, it was the tallest building erected in Glasgow between the wars and the side view in Garnet Street (right) indicates its full scale. The Art Deco curved towers of the facade reflect the design found in many of Glasgow's cinemas of the 1930s.
The architect, William Beresford Inglis of Weddell & Inglis, was also the hotel's owner and managing director. The hotel became a favourite rendezvous for American servicemen during the Second World War.
Demand for hotel accommodation declined after the war and the building became an office block. The University of Strathclyde acquired it for student accommodation in 1964, renaming it Baird Hall. It was sold in 2003 and work began on its re-conversion into private apartments.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/2962
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Americans, architects, art deco, Baird Hall, Beresford Hotel, Empire Exhibition, halls of residence, hotels, office buildings, Second World War, skyscrapers, student accommodation, University of Strathclyde, Weddell & Inglis