Seal of Robert Blackadder, first Archbishop of Glasgow. St Kentigern is shown dressed as a monk, holding a book. The legendary salmon with the ring is beside him, and belowthem is a shield bearing the arms of Blackadder. Blackadder had used a different seal in his early years as bishop.
Previously Bishop of Aberdeen, Blackadder became Bishop of Glasgow in 1484. He sided with rebel nobles who defeated and killed King James III at the Battle of Sauchieburn in 1488. His support was greatly appreciated by the new king, James IV, who was a frequent visitor to Glasgow. The king petitioned the Pope for the see of Glasgow to be elevated to the status of archbishopric. In spite of opposition from the Archbishop of St Andrews, Blackadder became Archbishop of Glasgow in 1491.
Archbishop Blackadder was responsible for the building of the Rood Screen at the entrance to the choir of Glasgow Cathedral, and the Fergus Aisle, which became known as Blackadder's Aisle. He died on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 1508.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 REN
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
archbishops, Battle of Sauchieburn, bishops, Blackadder's Aisle, choirs, coats of arms, Fergus Aisle, fish, Glasgow Cathedral, heraldry, rings, Rood Screen, salmon, seals