A photograph of Our Lady and St Margaret's Primary School on Stanley Street, Kinning Park, c 1980. The M8 motorway runs immediately behind.
Built in 1910, the school was designed by the architects Bruce & Hay who were known primarily for their work designing warehouses and offices such as the headquarters of the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society in nearby Morrison Street. Critics have compared the school's appearance to that of a warehouse or mill.
By 1872 there were twenty-two Roman Catholic schools in Glasgow, maintained with the assistance of government grants, charitable donations and by charging small fees(commonly a penny a week). By 1901 more than 23,000 pupils attended Catholic schools in the city. There were separate Catholic schools for girls and boys and many teachers were supplied by religious orders.
Reference: T-ED 5/29/4/87
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, Bruce & Hay, Our Lady and St Margaret's Primary School, primary schools, Roman Catholic primary schools, Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society, SCWS,