An appeal for increased funds published in the Post Office Glasgow directory of 1881-1882 on behalf of Glasgow Western Infirmary. The Western was founded in 1871 and partly opened three years later, eighty years after the opening of Glasgow's first voluntary hospital, the Royal Infirmary. The Freeland Wing was built with a bequest of £40,000 from John Freeland, 1879-1881. The additional beds made available to patients in the new wing inevitably increased the cost of running the infirmary.
Voluntary hospitals were funded almost entirely by donations, bequests and subscriptions from members of the public and from businesses and other organisations.
Reference: Mitchell Library, DIR 1881-82
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, appeals, bequests, directories, Freeland Wing, Glasgow Western Infirmary, infirmaries, Post Office Glasgow directory, voluntary hospitals