An aerial view of the River Clyde looking up-river from King George V Dock (bathed in sunshine, centre) along the line of the Old Renfrew Road to the smoky city in the distance. The photograph was taken around 1932. The farmland in the foreground is the site of the Braehead Shopping Centre, opened in 1999.
King George V opened the dock in 1931. It was designed as a large single basin with unrestricted entry, for the benefit of the increasingly large vessels trading into the Clyde. Although it was intended to be the first of a new series of docks on the south bank, the economic depression of the 1930s eliminated the need for further development.
King George V Dock is owned by Clydeport and is, at the beginning of the 21st century, the only major operational dock on the upper Clyde. It handles a wide range of cargoes such as animal feeds, grain, industrial equipment, steel, agricultural, chemical, general project and other dry bulk cargoes. The dock has excellent facilities and is close to the M8 Motorway and rail links.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aerial views, Braehead Shopping Centre, cargo ships, Clydeport, docks, economic depression, imports, King George V Dock, River Clyde