The Kelvin Cinema was opened by Kelvin Cinema Ltd in Argyle Street, Finnieston, in 1930. As this illustration of the interior shows, the design by Albert V Gardner was somewhat eccentric.
In 1931 the Kelvin was sold to George Taylor. He found it difficult to acquire good quality films and the Kelvin struggled to find audiences. The cinema closed in 1959, became a dance hall and entertainment venue as the Kelvin Centre during the 1980s, and then the popular Crème de la Creme Indian restaurant.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
cinemas, Creme de la Creme, dance halls, films, Indian restaurants, Kelvin Cinema Ltd