The Oxford Cafe Concert Hall, in Cowcaddens Street at the corner of Hope Street, was a public house which provided entertainment. In 1898 it acquired a bad reputation and was closed down and a new owner, Gray Edmiston, renovated and reopened the building as the Alexandra Music Hall. The programme for the opening night, shown here, featured T W Royal, comedian and speciality clog dancer.
In January 1899 Arthur Hubner took over and changed the name to the Royal Music Hall, but in May the theatre closed and reverted to a public house.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Theatre Collection, G 792 MUS
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives
Alexandra Music Hall, clog dancers, music halls, Oxford Cafe Concert Hall, public houses, Royal Music Hall, theatres, variety