This engraving by Robert Paul is identified as Glasgow Academy [Foulis Academy] July 1769, and shows an unusual view of the Molendinar Burn. This small stream is a tributary of the Clyde and a number of mills were built on its banks to meet the growing city's needs for ground meal and flour. It was culverted in 1877 and Wishart Street was built above it.
On the east bank of the Molendinar in this image is the Fir Park and opposite is the bottom of the Dean of Glasgow's Garden with a gate allowing access to the burn. The bridge in the background stood just south of the site of the more famous “Bridge of Sighs” and was believed to be one of the oldest masonry structures in the city. It was swept away some time in the 19th century.
Reference: Mitchell Library, FA 13/2
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning