The Port Dundas Distillery on the banks of the Forth and Clyde Canal, 1920s.
Two distilleries were built beside the Forth and Clyde Canal in the early 1800s, one by Daniel Macfarlane & Co and the other by J Gourlay & Co. The distilleries turned to the manufacture of grain whisky in 1845 and were merged in the 1860s. In 1877 Macfarlane & Co was one of the six companies that combined to form the Distillers Co Ltd (DCL). Port Dundas was the largest distillery in the United Kingdom by the 1880s and the buildings were altered and refurbished on several occasions. The distillery closed in 1903 after a fire. It was rebuilt in 1913, and again in 1916 after it was severely damaged by another great fire.
Reproduced with the kind permission of the Diageo Archive