Harland & Wolff's engineering works at Scotstoun, late 1930s. Coventry Ordnance Works had built the factory in 1910 to make gun mountings. Harland & Wolff acquired it in 1920 and converted it for the manufacture of diesel engines.
The factory was not initially successful and was put on a care and maintenance basis in 1927, but re-commissioned in 1936 to make gun mountings once more. After the Second World War it produced hydro-electric plant, steel presses for the motor industry and compressors. In 1969 it was sold to Albion Motors and converted to the production of rear axle sub-assemblies.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow University Archive Services