The McCance Building and Livingstone Tower at the Royal College of Science and Technology nearing completion in 1964, just prior to the College achieving university status as the University of Strathclyde.
The McCance Building and the Livingstone Tower were the result of a partnership between Glasgow Corporation, the Royal College of Science and Technology, and a commercial development company to build a new Arts, Social Studies and Library building (The McCance), and a tower block which would house commercial offices (now the Livingstone Tower). Work began on the site in August 1962.
The McCance Building was named after Sir Samuel McCance, who served as Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Royal College from 1950 until 1964. The building initially housed the Andersonian Library and Departments in the new School of Arts and Social Sciences.
With demand for office accommodation low, agreement was reached for the adjacent tower block to be leased to the University to provide more accommodation for the School of Arts and Social Sciences. It was named the Livingstone Tower after the explorer David Livingstone, who had studied at Anderson's Medical School from 1836 to 1839.
Reproduced with the permission of Strathclyde University Archives