The Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park, 1955.
The Palace of Art was designed by Launcelot Ross (1885-1956) for the Empire Exhibition of 1938. It was the only one of the exhibition buildings intended to be permanent and was to house Glasgow Corporation's art collection. In 1951, however, the building was converted to community use and it became the sports hall for the Bellahouston Sports Centre in 1968. In 2001 the facility re-opened after refurbishment and extensive improvements, as Bellahouston Leisure Centre.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.93 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of the Partick Camera Club