The opening ceremony for the People's Palace, held in the vast Winter Gardens at the rear of the building on 22 Jan 1898.
In 1866 the sale of the old Bridgeton bleaching green raised £2,500. The money was earmarked for the building of a new museum, reading room and art gallery in the East End, but in the meantime was put on deposit with the Clydesdale Bank to gain interest. In 1878 the Glasgow Public Parks, Museums and Galleries Act was passed, giving the Lord Provost and Council the authority to go ahead with the project. Building work started in 1895 after various delays, and in 1898 the People's Palace was opened by Lord Rosebery. The total cost of construction was £32,000.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums