Charles Frank and two of his children, Leo and Hannah.
Charles Frank was born in Vilkomir, Lithuania in 1865. By 1910 he had immigrated to Glasgow and set himself up as a camera maker, with a shop at 67 Saltmarket. Like many Jewish immigrants to Glasgow he settled in the Gorbals, first at 104 South Portland Street and then at 28 Abbotsford Place in 1917. A year or so later Frank moved south to 72 Dixon Avenue in Crosshill, an area popular with up-and-coming Jewish families and which, like the Gorbals, had its share of synagogues and kosher shops. Around 1950 Frank moved to Giffnock, to spend his old age in the growing Jewish community there.
Hannah Frank graduated in 1930 from the University of Glasgow, became a teacher and studied at the Glasgow School of Art. A talented artist, she became a sculptor and continued to work in this medium, to critical acclaim, until the eve of her 90th birthday.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre