Hutton Castle Hall at the Burrell Collection.
Hutton Castle, overlooking the River Whitadder near Berwick-on-Tweed, was purchased by Sir William Burrell in 1916. When Burrell gave his art collection to Glasgow Corporation in 1944, one of his stipulations was that three of the rooms at Hutton Castle should be reproduced in the new building which was to house the collection. The three rooms are the Dining Room, the Drawing Room and the Hall, which is shown here.
The major fittings of the Hall are the stonework (including an impressive fireplace and chimneypiece) and the medieval stained glass. There is also an oak doorway with a carving showing a fox disguised as a bishop preaching to a flock of geese. The room is furnished with a large oak refectory table dated 1581 and a number of English chairs dating from 1650 to 1715, as well as Persian rugs and French and Swiss tapestries.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums