Bardowie Castle, photographed in 1870 by Thomas Annan. The castle was built in 1566 and remains standing in 2004 on Bardowie Loch near Milngavie.
The castle was once a stronghold of the Galbraiths and passed in the 15th century to the Hamiltons of Bardowie. When Annan took this photograph it was the property of John Buchanan Hamilton. The author of The Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry noted in 1870 that, although the Hamiltons had little connection with Glasgow, many prominent Glaswegians had lived there as tenants.
Reference: Sp Coll Dougan Add. 73
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections