The Kelvin Aqueduct carrying the Forth and Clyde Canal across the River Kelvin, 1829. It was designed by the engineer Robert Whitworth and completed 1787-1790.
The aqueduct is built of four huge masonry arches and rises up to 21 metres above the river. James Hopkirk's drawing shows a two-masted vessel on its way to the canal's western terminus at Bowling on the River Clyde.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, MS Murray 636
Glasgow University Library, Special Collections