The former Elgin Place Congregational Church at the corner of Pitt Street and Bath Street, photographed on 25 November 2004. The building evaded the trend for stonecleaning that had swept through Glasgow from the late 1970s. The red board at the front of the building proclaims its new identity: Shack, a nightclub.
Designed by John Burnet, Elgin Place Congregational Church opened in 1856. It was built in the Greek Revival style, with its large pillars at the front giving it the appearance of a classical temple. The building ceased to be used as a church in 1962. One of its most impressive internal features, a pipe organ built in 1903 by Henry Willis & Sons, was removed to St Andrew's Cathedral in 1981.
Secular use began in 1982 when, after a complete internal remodelling, the building became Cardinal Follies nightclub and quickly became established as a popular destination for clubbers. It was later renamed The Temple, and in November 2000 the club was relaunched as the Shack club, with two floors and five bars. Another club, Trash, was also housed in the building.
The day after this photograph was taken, the former church was severely damaged by fire.
Reference: Illustrations vol 48, p 20
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning