A scene of rural tranquillity not normally associated with Glasgow - Barmulloch Farm, pictured c 1900.
In the years following the First World War, there was a drive to build large numbers of modern, affordable houses to alleviate the overcrowding problems in inner-city communities. In the 1920s and 1930s, Glasgow Corporation built housing schemes in the lands of Balornock, and in later years the new housing swallowed up the area around Barmulloch. Part of the land belonging to the farm was used to build Barmulloch College of Further Education, opened in 1964.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, P42
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning