The most significant battle to take place within Glasgow city boundaries was fought at Langside in 1568. On the morning of 13 May, forces in support of Mary, Queen of Scots were marching from Hamilton towards Dumbarton Castle when they found their path blocked by troops commanded by the Regent Moray. The two armies drew up lines of battle as shown on the map. Clincart Hill is now the site of Langside College.
After an unsuccessful cavalry charge, Mary's foot soldiers approached Langside Hill up the Lang Loan, now Battlefield Road. The two armies clashed in the area where Battlefield Memorial now stands. For some time the issue was in doubt, but reinforcements on the Regent's side attacked the Queen's troops in the flank, and they were forced to withdraw. The retreat became a rout, with an estimated 300 killed on the Queen's side, and only a handful of fatalities in the Regent's army.
After the battle, Mary fled south. She spent her last night in Scotland at Dundrennan Abbey, near Kirkcudbright (an event commemorated by Dundrennan Road in Battlefield) before crossing to England to face captivity and eventual execution.
Reference: Mitchell Library, G 941.05 SCO
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning