Two steam locomotives under construction in the erecting shop at the North British Locomotive Co's Queen's Park Works in 1952. A Class 29 2-8-2 locomotive for East African Railways and Harbours is hoisted on a crane. In the background, men are working on a B1 Class 4-6-0 locomotive for British Railways.
The erecting shop contained three work bays - two for engines, shown here, and one for tenders. A 90-ton crane was used to lift complete locomotives. Each engine was built by an erecting squad, usually a fitter and an apprentice. Specialist gangs would appear from time to time to work on wheels, the cab or the smokebox. Painting was left until last, as can be seen here. On average, two engines were turned out each a week.
These were the final days of the post-war boom. The Class 29 was from the final order sent to Africa, while the Class B1 was one of the last steam locomotives built for British Railways.
Reference: NBL 131
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning