Two Coronation trams at Auchenshuggle terminus on London Road, photographed in 1962 shortly before the trams were withdrawn from service. The level of traffic in the picture appears light by today's standards, but car use was increasing and this was a major factor in the demise of the trams.
The quaint name of Auchenshuggle was made famous throughout the city by being carried on the front of trams on route No 9, which ran between Auchenshuggle and Dalmuir West. The service was extended from its previous terminus at Springfield Road in 1922.
Service No 9 was the final route on which trams were run in the city. The last regular tram ran on 1 September, 1962. On 2, 3 and 4 September, a special tram service was operated between Auchenshuggle and Anderston Cross on which souvenir tickets were sold. This proved attractive to those who wished to take a final sentimental journey. The route was taken by bus service No 64, which in 2003 still uses Auchenshuggle as a terminus and ensures that the placename remains prominent on the streets of Glasgow.
Reference: Glasgow Collection Illustrations vol.34, p.2
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning