A Thomas Annan photograph of a portrait of William Dixon Snr of Govanhill (1753-1822). The painting was itself a copy, of one by George Watson.
Dixon, from Northumberland, managed the Little Govan Colliery in Govanhill and in 1820 he acquired the colliery and the estate. He built Lanarkshire's first mineral railway to convey coal from the colliery to Glasgow Harbour for export. Dixon became a major coal baron in the Monkland field, and with David Mushet he founded the Calder Ironworks in 1801. When he died he was probably Scotland's most powerful coal and iron master.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 920.041435 COR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning