A postcard view of Partick Burgh Halls (centre) in Burgh Hall Street (originally Maxwell Street), early 1900s. The burgh council had held its meetings in various places between the creation of the burgh in 1852 and the erection of this hall in 1872.
The building's architect was William Leiper and the design was exhibited in the Paris Exhibition of 1867 as an example of "The Progress of British Architecture." The carved roundels above three of the groundfloor windows are by William Mossman and represent Compassion, Truth and Justice.
The Burgh of Partick was annexed by Glasgow in 1912 and the halls were acquired by Glasgow Corporation. The interior has been refurbished on three occasions since then.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning