St Enoch's Church looking south across St Enoch Square, c 1797.
The foundation stone of St Enoch's was laid on April 12th 1780. Built about twenty years after St Andrew's Church, it is similar in style. Enoch is a corruption of Thenew or Theneu, who was the mother of Glasgow's patron saint St Kentigern (also known by his nickname, Mungo), and the church was built on the site supposed to be that of an earlier church situated on or near her burial place. It was rebuilt in 1827, retaining the old spire, and demolished in 1925 when the congregation moved to St Enoch's Hogganfield.
The Surgeons' Hall, with four columns above its main entrance, is on the east side of the square, on the left of the picture. The east side of the square was demolished in the 1870s to make way for St Enoch Station and is today the site of the St Enoch Shopping Centre.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 DEN (1804)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning