This engraving by Robert Paul, completed in 1760, shows Glasgow Cathedral from the west. Behind the cathedral is the Fir Park, an area on top of Westercraigs owned by the Merchants' House between 1650 and 1966.
To the left of the image is the high ground called Gardyngad or Garngad (now Roystonhill), over the crest of which runs the main road to Edinburgh. A rider on horseback is travelling along Dobbie's Loan.
The ruins of the Bishop's Palace lie to the right of the Cathedral and beyond them are the houses at the bottom of Drygate. On the hill to their right are the buildings of Rottenrow and the Gyrth Burn flowed through the deep valley below. The mysterious objects on Doghillock, in the foreground, are apparently haystacks.
Reference: Mitchell Library, FA 10/2
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning