The Star Inn, in the centre of this row of buildings stretching east along Ingram Street, was the meeting place of the Reform Association, led by Thomas Muir (1765-1799). Muir was charged with sedition and in 1794 was sentenced to be deported to Botany Bay for fourteen years. To the right, along Ingram Street can be seen the steeple of the North West (or Ramshorn) Church, built in 1720 and rebuilt in 1825.
Ingram Street was laid out in 1781 and named for Archibald Ingram (1699-1770), a tobacco lord who became Glasgow's Provost in 1762. The street was originally known as Back Cow Lane.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning