Archaeologists believe that a castle or hunting lodge may have been built at Partick on the banks of the River Kelvin by a king of Strathclyde, perhaps as early as the 7th century. There is a suggestion the building would have been linked with the erection of the medieval church in Govan dedicated to St Constantine, on the other side of a ford across the River Clyde.
The building depicted here, however, was a much more modern structure. It was built in 1611 for George Hutcheson, one of the brothers who founded Hutchesons' Hospital and Hutchesons' Grammar School. This view looks south towards the mouth of the River Kelvin and the spire of Govan Old Parish Church. The ruins of the castle were plundered for building stone and it disappeared in the early 19th century.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning