An engraving representing the view of the Bishop's Castle from the south west just before the Reformation in 1560. The Cathedral is in the background.
The first fortifications were probably erected on the site in the 12th century and subsequently improved and extended by Glasgow's bishops. The use of the central fortified building as the residence of the Bishop of Glasgow led to it acquiring the alternative name, the Bishop's Palace. On the left of this view is the Great Tower, built by Bishop John Cameron (fl 1426-1446) in the 1430s, and the curtain wall surrounding the site was erected by Archbishop James Beaton (c 1480-1539)in the early 16th century. The magnificent gatehouse was added by Archbishop Gavin Dunbar (c 1495-1547) before 1547.
The castle was believed to have been occupied until the Reformation in the mid-16th century, but fell into disrepair after the flight of Archbishop James Beaton (c 1517-1603) to France in 1560.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 941.435 GOR
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning