This photograph was taken in 1964 from Mitchell Street at its junction with Argyle Street. The entrance to Mitchell Street at this point is extremely narrow - it was originally a country lane running from Argyle Street to Cowcaddens, and has retained its original width. In the foreground is a branch of John Collier, tailors and outfitters. On the south side of Argyle Street is Arnott Simpson's department store.
The neighbouring department stores of Arnott & Co and Robert Simpson & Sons were established in the 1850s. At a time of difficult trading conditions in the economic depression of the 1930s, both firms were acquired by the House of Fraser in 1936 and combined, trading as Arnott Simpson from 1938.
Arnott Simpson's was completely rebuilt in the early 1960s, re-opening in April 1963. The new building was double the size of the old and became one of Glasgow's leading department stores with a new food hall and departments spread over six floors.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1520
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning