The exterior of the Norwood Ballroom, photographed in 1930. J B McEwen's dancing school operated in tandem with the ballroom.
“Norwood” was the name of the villa at 101 St George’s Road in Woodside which was converted to house the dancing school in 1921. It appears to have been successful, as it is recorded that celebrity dancers Santos Casani and his partner Jose Lennard were paid the enormous sum of £100 a day when they taught at the Norwood Ballroom. Bands from London played regularly there, as well as local bands.
The ballroom closed in 1936 after which it was converted into a cinema, the Norwood, by A E Pickard. The comprehensive conversion brought the building forward to the pavement's edge. In 1945 it was renamed the George, and in 1975 it became Dreamland, an Asian cinema whose customers were mainly local Pakistani residents. In the 1980s it was converted into a snooker club.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/2741
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning