Four-apartment semi-detached cottage designed and produced by the Scottish Orlit Co, Edinburgh, erected for Glasgow Corporation at Balornock in 1949. The Orlit house was one of several types built using non-traditional methods of construction in an attempt to meet increased demand for housing in the years following the Second World War.
The structure consists of a concrete frame, built up of pre-cast concrete columns at fixed intervals which support concrete beams fixed to the columns so that the whole becomes virtually a monolithic frame. The frame is faced externally with large concrete slabs and internally with interlocking foamslag blocks. Internal partitions are constructed of breeze blocks and finished in plaster, as is the foamslag internal cladding. The floors are constructed of pre-cast concrete flooring units, with timber flooring on timber runners.
Reference: Post-war housing no.1, A/9/F/42
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning