A postcard view c 1920, showing Anderston Cross from the east. To the left is Stobcross Street (with the railway station on the corner, in the centre of the photograph). Argyle Street is on the right. The glass-roofed attic on the Anderston Cross building in the centre housed a photographer’s studio. A well-known hairdresser, Frank Zonfrillo, owned a shop next to the station.
Anderston Cross was a busy railway and tram route interchange, but the area is completely unrecognisable today. The station closed in 1959 and was demolished in 1967. The last tram passed by on 1 September 1962. The comprehensive redevelopment plan of the 1960s and 1970s removed much slum housing but a large part of the area disappeared beneath the new M8 motorway. Only 3,800 of the population of 11,430 were re-housed at Anderston Cross. The soulless concrete Anderston Cross Commercial Centre proved unsuccessful and was subsequently demolished.
Reference: Mitchell Library GC Postcards
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning