At a time when Nazi Germany was becoming increasingly bellicose, the Peace Pavilion at the Empire Exhibition in 1938 reflected anxieties at the deteriorating international situation. Designed by Alister MacDonald, the wooden pavilion was arranged in the form of a cross, topped by a tower from which a carillon pealed. Inside, murals depicted the peaceful aspirations of nations. The work of the League of Nations was highlighted, with an emphasis on the contribution of the countries of the British Empire to its proceedings.
In contrast, the Services Pavilion advertised the importance of the British Army and the Royal Air Force. Displays of weapons and equipment, model aircraft and photographs showing life in the services, were aimed at potential recruits. The Royal Navy was also represented at a nearby kiosk.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC ef606.4 (1938)
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning