One of Glasgow's longest running cinemas, the Hillhead Picture Salon was designed by Brand & Lithgow and opened by the Hillhead Picture House Co in 1913. An orchestra added to the atmosphere. A refurbishment in 1931 maintained the high standard of interior furnishings.
By the 1960s the Salon relied on a loyal but dwindling band of local customers and the cinema continued to struggle for its existence after new owners Fyfe and Fyfe refurbished it in 1970. In 1987 it was acquired by Caledonian Associated Cinemas, owners of the nearby Grosvenor Cinema, and the Salon was finally closed in 1992.
The building is now (in 2002) a restaurant and wine bar.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives