Architect James Miller designed an entertainment complex in Renfield Street for Miss Catherine Cranston, better known as the owner of famous tea rooms, in 1916. Cranston's Cinema De Luxe occupied the third floor of the six storey building.
The cinema was acquired by Harry Winocour in 1934, by George Green Ltd in 1954 and by the Classic Group in 1960. The renamed Classic Cinema specialised in particular types of film at various times - horror, erotica, cartoons (as when this photograph was taken in 1963) and westerns. The cinema was destroyed by fire in 1981.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1955
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives