The unfortunately named White Elephant cinema in Shawlands was designed by H Barnes for A E Pickard and opened in 1927. The architecture was somewhat eccentric, with the screen beside the stalls door, but the incorporation of a car park was a forward thinking measure.
The cinema was sold to A B King in 1934. Despite the dropping of the "White" from the name, it was an early casualty of falling cinema audiences. It closed in 1960 to be redesigned as shops.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/1659
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries and Archives